Doody First Sign Up

Pet Owners Beware: This Common Sweetener Can Poison Dogs

With the upcoming holidays and all the holiday baking which come with them, I thought it would be a good idea to share with you. Please help spread the word!

The following excerpt is from an article written by Dr. Richard Palmquist for The Huffington Post on September 27, 2010:

Humans enjoy sweet tastes and scientists discovered that fruits contain an alcohol that tastes sweet. In an effort to help us satisfy our sweet tooth while reducing the amount of sugar we eat, these food engineers isolated the chemical and found it assists people in losing weight and reducing cavities. So far the chemical called xylitol seems safe for people, and many dentists and doctors are suggesting people buy it in granules and use it at home to reduce their consumption of sugar. It’s a common sweetener used in candy, gum and baked goods like muffins and breads.

While xylitol is not known to be dangerous to people, veterinarians across the nation are seeing increased rates of serious poisoning in dogs that accidentally ingest even small amounts. Pet owners need to become aware of xylitol in products so they can carefully isolate these items from their dogs. Any dog that ingests xylitol, even in very small amounts, should be seen by a veterinarian immediately.

Click here to read the full article.

Leave a Reply